The Hawaii Government Employees Association, AFSCME Local 152, AFL-CIO, is Hawaii’s largest union with nearly 37,000 members statewide. Public state and county employees are divided into 14 collective bargaining units and HGEA has exclusive representation of nine of these units.
- Unit 2 - Supervisory employees in blue-collar positions (726 members)
- Unit 3 - Non-supervisory employees in white-collar positions (11,577 members)
- Unit 4 - Supervisory employees in white-collar positions (799 members)
- Unit 6 - Educational officers (940 members)
- Unit 8 - Administrative, professional and technical employees of the University of Hawaii and the community colleges (2,074 members)
- Unit 9 - Registered professional nurses (1,079 members)
- Unit 13 - Professional and scientific employees (7,394 members)
- Unit 14 - Law enforcement officers (380 members)
- Unit 15 - Ocean safety and water safety officers (371 members)
HGEA also services a large Associate membership, composed primarily of retirees, excluded employees and other state/county employees & officials and federal employees:
- Retirees - State and county government retirees (9,097 members)
- Excluded - Managerial and confidential employees (excluded from collective bargaining) serviced by AFSCME (821 members)
- Other (1,523 members)
Click here to sign up for new membership.
Note: membership counts are approximate.