Under the general supervision of the Assistant Controller, this position performs a wide variety of technical and clerical accounting work in accounts payable in the Fiscal Services section to include processing payroll and supervising the Account Technician. This position demands the ability to adhere to HGEA's confidentiality policy, to meet strict and multiple deadlines, and perform several tasks simultaneously. In addition, this position requires the ability to respond tactfully, adjust to changes in the work environment, have strong communication skills, and maintain a harmonious working relationship with various parties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE/PAYROLL - 70%
- Responsible for maintaining the accounts payable ledger for all funds of the organization in compliance with internal policies and procedures. The Union's accounts payable system is characterized by unusual accounting features due to such factors as sources of funds, heavy cash flow and other disbursements.
- Completes complex accounting transaction processes and processes a volume of transactions within a limited period of time by using discretion and sound judgment with frequent unforeseeable requirements and deadlines.
- Examines and reviews all voucher claims for payment to determine propriety and validity. Assists the staff and/or member on the proper submission of voucher claims. Ensures that funds are available in accounts to cover expenditure claims and whether such expenditures are authorized. Notifies the Assistant Controller if there is an anticipation that the fund balance is too low to cover expenditures based on the employee's knowledge of past activities.
- Posts expenditures to the various accounts; reconciles outstanding vouchers and checks against the appropriate control accounts; and analyzes any discrepancies to determine corrective entries to properly adjust accounts.
- Posts accounting transactions to the various bank accounts such as Trust, General Fund, Building Fund, Political Action Committees, and Staff Retirement Trust Fund.
- Reconciles the corporate credit card account and resolves discrepancies with the bank and staff.
- Processes employee payroll to include inputting, verifying and processing changes in the HR/payroll software, reconciling payroll administration reports, and distributing payroll checks.
- Processes staff benefits changes during open enrollment and other employment status changes that affects payroll, processes payments from employer deductions, as well as inputs and verifies that changes are accurately completed in the payroll system.
FINANCIAL REPORTS - 10%
- Assists in reconciling all accounts; closing and balancing the accounts; conducting research for supporting financial data on current and past accounts.
- Prepares special financial reports and other documents for internal parties such as Board, committee and program reports and for external parties such as auditors and various State agencies.
- Documents procedural changes and operational guides on maintaining the Accounts Payable operations for supervisor's review and implementation. Prepares and estimates operational needs and requirements such as equipment, materials and supplies, etc.
SUPERVISORY - 10%
- Oversees the day to day activities of the account technician and other staff in the overall maintenance of the accounts payable operation. Ensures that proper office procedures and practices are followed; assigns and reassigns staff to meet deadlines and clear backlog activities.
- Trains staff in developing a solid day to day operational understanding of the accounts payable system and develops independence in accomplishing tasks.
CASH/BANK ACCOUNT - 5%
- Resolves account discrepancies with bank representatives and recommends alternatives and corrective steps to be taken. Notifies the bank on transferring funds from one account to another and makes special requests for cash withdrawal or deposits in unusual situations.
- Custodian of the petty cash account.
OTHER DUTIES - 5%
- Assists with the annual audit performed by external parties.
- Prepare regulatory reporting as needed (i.e. campaign spending reports and payroll & health coverage tax reporting, etc.)
- Participates and provides support in group projects which may include, but is not limited to, conventions, collective bargaining activities and other membership activities.
- Assist with record retention maintenance within department guidelines.
- Handle the account technician's assignments during absence.
- During periods of heavy workload or in the absence of a departmental staff, performs duties as necessary to maintain normal operations within the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Qualified candidates must have graduated from high school or have a GED. Some experience in payroll, accounts payable and/or bookkeeping. Supervisory experience preferred. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Executive Director regarding equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to provide prompt and excellent customer service to members, internal staff, and community members and leaders; represent the organization both internally and externally by exhibiting HGEA's core values and culture of service with A.L.O.H.A.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to payroll and accounts payable transactions as well as general office operations, arithmetic and standard business correspondences.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information; perform rapid and accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Demonstrate excellent computer skills; highly experienced in computer software applications (i.e. Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel) and other systems; type 60 wpm or higher.
- Ability to prepare financial reports.
- Ability to understand and apply pertinent statutory and/or contractual provisions; effectively prioritize assignments to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain records and files in an easily retrievable, current, and systematic manner.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate in person, on the phone, in writing and electronically.
- Lift files and/or records up to 20 pounds.
Application Requirements: Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Position will remain open till filled.